As I was driving home from work the other day I heard an interesting add on the radio. Apparently the City of Virginia Beach has the largest volunteer EMS service in the country and they need help. I thought to myself that this would be a fantastic opportunity for me to get my feet wet in the medical field. I immediately called the number and was signed up for the orientation class. The class was held this past Saturday and as I sat there listening to the lady speak I thought to myself...are you CRAZY? You already have a full time job and two small children at home to take care of. But I couldn't help myself, I signed up for an EMT class which starts next month. It will be Monday and Wednesday nights from 6-10 (yes, I know I am normally in bed by 8:30) for five months. At the end of the five months I have to volunteer 48 hours a month (basically four 12 hours shifts a month) for two years. The class is free and what's even more exciting is that I can work my way all the way up to an EMT-Paramedic. For those if you not familiar with the "lingo" an EMT-Paramedic can do almost everything that a doctor can do including cold therapy for cardiac patients! I am very excited about this opportunity but I know that this means more time away from the kids. Thankfully I can do my shifts overnight so they won't even know that I am gone!
Wish me luck as I start this new chapter in my life! I'm sure it will be challenging but it will also be very rewarding.

No comments:
Post a Comment